Whole Grain Expresso-Edison Honey Butter Rolls or Loaves
These light, nourishing rolls are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The nutty, earthy notes of Cairnspring Organic Whole Grain Expresso compliment the sweetness of the honey. The buttery, rich Organic Edison finishes in a beautiful golden color. Polenta on the bottom crust adds a nice crunch. Delicious with butter and your favorite jam, with olive oil as an accompaniment to a bowl of soup or meal or as the perfect base for your favorite sandwich.
3 dozen rolls
3 cups (670g) lukewarm water, at about 110°F
¾ cup (225g) honey, at room temperature
2 envelopes (14g) active dry yeast
⅓ cup (80g) melted unsalted butter
4 cups (575g) Cairnspring Organic Whole Grain Expresso bread flour
2 teaspoons (11g) salt
3-4 cups (545g) Cairnspring Organic Edison all-purpose flour, plus extra flour, if needed, to make a stiff dough.
1 large egg, whisked with 1 tablespoon of water, for egg wash
1 cup (about 140g) fine corn polenta, to dip the bottom of the rolls before baking
- This recipe can be mixed either in a stand mixer or by hand. Stand mixer makes it a much easier job.
- Optional: once the rolls are shaped and placed on parchment lined baking sheets, they may be refrigerated overnight, covered with a large plastic bag, then brought to room temperature, proofed and baked in time for dinner!
Even more options!
- Shape two quarters of the dough into rolls.
- Shape the remaining two quarters into 2 free-form loaves.
- Dip the bottom of loaves in corn polenta and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover with a towel, let rise until double. Brush with the egg wash. Score top of loaves in two diagonal cuts. Bake in a 350°F oven until deep golden-brown, about 1 hour.
- Place on a rack to cool completely. Makes wonderful toast!
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, honey, and yeast and let sit until the yeast softens and starts foaming, approximately 5 minutes.
- Fit your mixer with a bread hook attachment and add butter.
- With a mixer running on low speed, add Organic Whole Grain Expresso flour one cup at a time, until all 4 cups are incorporated into the liquid.
- Mix for 7 minutes on low speed.
- Add salt, then add 2-3 more cups of Organic Edison all-purpose flour, one cup at a time, until a stiff dough begins to form.
- Sprinkle ¼ one cup of the remaining Organic Edison flour over the dough and mix on medium speed for an additional 8 minutes, adding remaining flour as needed, until the dough starts leaving sides of the bowl. The dough may be slightly sticky until the moisture is absorbed into the flour as the dough rises. Add any additional flour sparingly, up to ½ cup.
- Alternatively, to finish kneading by hand: sprinkle ½-1 cup of the remaining flour on a clean surface. Knead 8-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a buttered bowl, smooth side down, to butter the top, then turn over.
- Cover the bowl loosely with a damp towel and place in a warm (75°-85°) draft-free place until doubled in size – approximately one hour.
- Punch down the dough, knead for one minute.
- Cover and let the dough rise again until it doubles in size and feels light for the volume.
- Punch down a second time. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board.
- Divide the dough into quarters.
- For approximately 3 dozen dinner rolls:
- With a sharp knife, cut each quarter in 2-2.5 oz portions, using kitchen scale.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the rolls into rounds so that tops are smooth.
- Dip the bottom of each roll into fine corn polenta for texture.
- Place the rolls two inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, 12 rolls per sheet.
- Cover with kitchen towels and let rise until light and airy, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush each roll with an egg wash to enhance the browning and flavor.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, turning the baking sheet 180 degrees half the way through the baking time.
- Cool on wire racks.