Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
This is a healthier, more wholesome version of a regular, all-purpose sandwich bread. We do not sift our Organic Expreso Whole Grain bread flour, which means that this loaf has a full, nutty, robust flavor and contains all of the natural nutrients of the entire wheat berry – yet it is soft, moist, and versatile enough to be eaten as a breakfast toast or as a your favorite lunch sandwich.
BY: ELLE COWAN
3 hours and 15 minutes
1 teaspoon (3.2g) instant yeast
2 teaspoons (14.2g) honey
1½ cups (350g) milk, warmed to 105-115°F
1¾ teaspoons (25.5g) unsalted butter, cubed, room temperature
3 cups (450g) Organic Expresso Whole Grain bread flour
2 teaspoons (10g) sea salt
Egg wash: 1 egg + ½ teaspoon of water + pinch salt, lightly whisked
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine instant yeast and honey.
- Add warm milk and whisk to combine until the yeast and the honey have dissolved.
- Add butter and flour and mix on low speed using a dough hook.
- Once the liquid has mostly been absorbed, add the salt and begin to mix on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto an un-floured surface and knead into a ball.
- Place the dough into a bowl lightly sprayed with oil, cover, and allow to rise at room temperature for roughly 1- 1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- Prepare a loaf pan with spray oil.
- Shape dough into a “batard,” an oblong, rectangular shape that will fit lengthwise into your prepared pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the shaped dough to the greased pan and allow to proof for about 1 hour or until it has peaked over the edges of the pan (resembling a loaf shape).
- Brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn and bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove loaf from the baking dish and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before cutting into.
If you happen to have a kitchen thermometer, this bread is ready when the internal temperature of the loaves reaches 190°F.
If you’re looking for a more rustic look, feel free to not use the egg wash.
This recipe is our whole wheat version of our White Sandwich Bread.